O/T Oyston leaves

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby KenH » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:57 pm

Christies Child wrote:I didn't hear this so called majority come out in favour of staying The Pie at the time..... in fact I seem to recall that the majority were in favour of the move relishing the opportunity to watch football in superior surroundings. Granted the reality is somewhat different than expected in some eyes but the fact is that to redevelop The Pie was financially a non starter. :cry: :cry: :cry:


Not much opposition in the early stages, but as the plans changed, (i.e. the boxes!), not moving the "new" stand, the opposition started to increase. Then, when we actually saw the new stadium, lack of facilities, wild boar steaks, etc., I think it became clear that most people weren't impressed with what we had and how different it was to the original plans.
KenH
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby NPL Daze » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:07 pm

And the airport waiting area / golf club bar which masqueraded as a "Fans Bar"
User avatar
NPL Daze
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am
Location: Still on the Car Wash / Squash Club side

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:14 pm

Spot the difference
globe1.jpg
globe1.jpg (38.61 KiB) Viewed 1181 times

globe2.jpg
globe2.jpg (175.85 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
User avatar
marky No.1
 
Posts: 18575
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Carnforth

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby NPL Daze » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:39 pm

I prefer the old club badge on the Main Stand frontage for starters as per the original plans.
User avatar
NPL Daze
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am
Location: Still on the Car Wash / Squash Club side

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby NPL Daze » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:45 pm

Just going back to the "Fan Owned" option earlier in the thread, Chester AFC are fan owned and are in serious financial difficulty once again.

As were FC United of Manchester last season as was reported. Again, another "Fan Owned" club.
User avatar
NPL Daze
 
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am
Location: Still on the Car Wash / Squash Club side

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:52 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Spot the difference
globe1.jpg

globe2.jpg


Brilliant....the only thing that came true is the amount of people outside the ground on match day!
BerlinWaller
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
Brilliant....the only thing that came true is the amount of people outside the ground on match day!


Probably Chinese tourists .... and you would have had a different name :lol:
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
User avatar
marky No.1
 
Posts: 18575
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Carnforth

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Shrimpy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:04 pm

NPL Daze wrote:Just going back to the "Fan Owned" option earlier in the thread, Chester AFC are fan owned and are in serious financial difficulty once again.

As were FC United of Manchester last season as was reported. Again, another "Fan Owned" club.

Basically, to be fan owned you need to live within your means and accept that you need to operate at a level you can do comfortably. I would suggest the clubs that are finding themselves in financial difficulty have overstretched themselves somewhat and got ideas above their station.

The question is what level would that be for us? If crowds held up around the 1000 mark and we went part time I'd say we could manage as a mid table Conference North club.
Shrimpy
 
Posts: 1740
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:18 pm

Yes, we are =18th in the Conference average crowd table.

In Conference North you have:
Stockport 3453
York 2774
FC Utd 2044
Salford 1768
Kidderminster 1591
Darlington 1436
Harrogate 1149
Chorley 1103
Boston 1061
Southport 1011

Many more local games for them obviously
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
User avatar
marky No.1
 
Posts: 18575
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Carnforth

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:45 pm

Would we get bigger gates due to larger away attendence?
BerlinWaller
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby John L » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:13 pm

Christies Child wrote:
NPL Daze wrote:A spot on quote from a Blackpool FC fan on their forum:

"Morecambe FC lost its way when the heart of the club was ripped out with the move from beloved Christie Park to the spiritless Globe Arena. The majority of the loyal fans were against the move and were ignored by the money men in the boardroom responsible for the failed business plan.

If Bentley keeps the club in league division 4 again this year it will be a miracle."


An interesting read for all those "in favour" of Oy$ton taking over our club:

http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk/thread ... nmUcGfsKM8


I didn't hear this so called majority come out in favour of staying The Pie at the time..... in fact I seem to recall that the majority were in favour of the move relishing the opportunity to watch football in superior surroundings. Granted the reality is somewhat different than expected in some eyes but the fact is that to redevelop The Pie was financially a non starter. :cry: :cry: :cry:


+1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Founder of the "BRILL LAGER AND BOG"
User avatar
John L
 
Posts: 4527
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:41 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Joel Ninety » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:30 pm

Morecambe as a fan/trust-owned club would not work because nobody local has any bloody money and there's not enough regular paying supporters to sustain it. Andy Holt at Accrington was mentioned further back. He's got loads of money and is a fan willing to blow it on the club. Completely different situation.

The original plans for Wild Boar steaks in the restaurant smacks of someone with money going for a day out to Manchester and coming home with loads of "ideas". That's exactly what happened with Oscar’s Wine Bar in Lancaster and a young girl ended up without a stomach.

Anyway, I'm going to the Houses of Parliament tonight for a work event so I'll see if Morris can lend me the magic money tree for a bit.
User avatar
Joel Ninety
 
Posts: 714
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:08 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby KenH » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Joel Ninety wrote:Morecambe as a fan/trust-owned club would not work because nobody local has any bloody money and there's not enough regular paying supporters to sustain it.


If, and it's a big if, the function rooms and bar were properly marketed and used a lot more, it could actually start to generate some decent money. Likewise, the likes of children's birthday parties both on matchdays and other days too. It's not generating the profits it should because of poor marketing/administration. Just like the children's open days which are pretty poorly attended because barely anyone outside the club knows they're happening and even those who attend get poor service (i.e. last time there were no M&P pies and no hotdogs!).
KenH
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Posh » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:04 pm

John L wrote:
Christies Child wrote:
NPL Daze wrote:A spot on quote from a Blackpool FC fan on their forum:

"Morecambe FC lost its way when the heart of the club was ripped out with the move from beloved Christie Park to the spiritless Globe Arena. The majority of the loyal fans were against the move and were ignored by the money men in the boardroom responsible for the failed business plan.

If Bentley keeps the club in league division 4 again this year it will be a miracle."


An interesting read for all those "in favour" of Oy$ton taking over our club:

http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk/thread ... nmUcGfsKM8


I didn't hear this so called majority come out in favour of staying The Pie at the time..... in fact I seem to recall that the majority were in favour of the move relishing the opportunity to watch football in superior surroundings. Granted the reality is somewhat different than expected in some eyes but the fact is that to redevelop The Pie was financially a non starter. :cry: :cry: :cry:


+1. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.


It is indeed.

If we'd known the scale of the losses at The Globe, it would have made more sense to have gone with PMG's Plan B, which was to build a stand and function room on the old Car Wash side of the ground.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
User avatar
Posh
 
Posts: 3871
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:57 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere baby

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby KenH » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:09 pm

Posh wrote:If we'd known the scale of the losses at The Globe, it would have made more sense to have gone with PMG's Plan B, which was to build a stand and function room on the old Car Wash side of the ground.


Alternatively, they could have spent half the money on the Globe, not bothered with the gym, 3g pitches, community block, boxes, etc. Half the money would still have given us a decent stadium and a simple bar/function room for match day hospitality, with a few million left over. A smaller/simpler stadium would have cost less hence smaller losses.
KenH
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby al1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:21 pm

It is what it is move on
al1
 
Posts: 438
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:51 pm
Location: morecambe

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby KenH » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:31 pm

al1 wrote:It is what it is move on


Indeed, but we need to understand what went wrong in the past if there is to be a future. Last thing the club needs is to continue with a flawed business model or make any more mistakes. There is a chance that the club can get through this awful patch, but there's no room for any more errors.
KenH
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby George Dawes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:46 pm

BerlinWaller wrote:
marky No.1 wrote:Spot the difference
globe1.jpg

globe2.jpg


Brilliant....the only thing that came true is the amount of people outside the ground on match day!

That's Head Wrecking looking at them photos, apparently the 3rd Tier in the main stand came as the expense of the Original Design.

When people talk about Match Day experience , surly with the Original Design what's a Brighter Design having far less Concrete giving the place a Grey n Grim Feeling, might have helped keep Attendences up and helped be more self sufficient, having bigger Crowds and less Overheads.
George Dawes
 
Posts: 8399
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:31 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:27 pm

Also with hindsight, we would have kept the seats, rather than "listen to the fans" and have terraces. That way we would have got a grant too.
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
User avatar
marky No.1
 
Posts: 18575
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Carnforth

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:52 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Also with hindsight, we would have kept the seats, rather than "listen to the fans" and have terraces. That way we would have got a grant too.


Every other club that has built a new stadium seems to have received grants apart from us.
A Shrimp is for life and not just for Christmas.
Gone_Shrimping
 
Posts: 2275
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby BerlinWaller » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:57 pm

It is like a big wind up
BerlinWaller
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby shrimpnsave » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:08 pm

If I'm not mistaken you can only receive grants if its all seater
football is a funny old game
User avatar
shrimpnsave
 
Posts: 6311
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:21 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby marky No.1 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:18 pm

shrimpnsave wrote:If I'm not mistaken you can only receive grants if its all seater


Yep, seemingly we didn't realise this when we did it, we thought we would get it as a percentage of seating ie for the Main Stand - this was from a horses mouth at the time
Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
User avatar
marky No.1
 
Posts: 18575
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Carnforth

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Bare Grills » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:46 am

Posh wrote:If we'd known the scale of the losses at The Globe, it would have made more sense to have gone with PMG's Plan B, which was to build a stand and function room on the old Car Wash side of the ground.

Saw the plans for that, looked good even with the car wash. Shame we followed the rainbow, still looking for the pot of gold.
Bare Grills
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:57 pm
Location: Sunny Bare

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby KenH » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:55 am

Bare Grills wrote:still looking for the pot of gold.


We had the pot of gold, i.e. Sainbury's money, but squandered it on a vanity project.
KenH
 
Posts: 793
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot], NPL Daze, Shrimpy and 10 guests