O/T Oyston leaves

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby jbcshrimp » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Let's not forget, at the last fan's forum there were 3 parties interested in taking over the club. Could this include such as the Oystons ?
jbcshrimp
 
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Posh » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:26 pm

I'd rather follow a fan-owned club in the North West Counties than an Oyston-owned one in the Football League.

Obvious question, who else? Well apparently our board have at least one prospective owner and the Burnard's have one, or so they claim. However, this of no interest to us and we're just paying customers or mushrooms - kept in the dark and fed s**t.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
User avatar
Posh
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:57 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere baby

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Christies Child » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:13 pm

Could a fan-owned club actually afford the overheads involved with The Globe...and if we / they couldn't where else in the area would our club be based :?:

It's without doubt an attractive proposition and one that I'd support (even though my preference would be an investor to step forward to ensure EFL survival ) but I wonder if such an idea of a fan-owned club is feasible at The Globe with its overheads.

:?: :?: :?:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child
 
Posts: 14737
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Storth, South Lakes

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby black morse » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:20 pm

Exeter struggled for quite a while as a fan owned club with a much bigger following than us.
black morse
 
Posts: 2424
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:59 am
Location: South Devon

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby mrpotatohead » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:27 pm

The fan owned club option is a non starter, the losses are far too great , and the decision making process would be a nightmare , rather like Soviet style communism ...on the other hand , it would appear some fans on here would be happy with anyone's money , I think the Yorkshire ripper would be given the red carpet treatment by one or two if he showed up with a few quid.
Surprise sex is the best thing to wake up to, unless you're in prison.
User avatar
mrpotatohead
 
Posts: 7152
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:05 pm
Location: circus

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:36 pm

Belekon can now help himself to £21,000,000 worth of Oyston assets after a court hearing today. Blackpool fans are hoping he will take the club and ground and then donate it back to the town. Interesting news.
BerlinWaller
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby KenH » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:47 pm

The only viable option for a fan owned club would be for someone else to run the hospitality and bar, on a professional basis, to cover the overheads of the entire site and buildings (rates, power, insurance, maintenance) and keep the profits. If it was run by a catering/hospitality management company it would probably be profitable enough as a professional outfit would be able to generate more meetings, weddings, functions, etc, probably 7 days per week.

Then the "football club" itself would just stick to the football, i.e. monies from the EFL, gates, adverts/boards, snack stands, with it's only overheads being the wages of the players, management, matchday staff, etc. That could be feasible if the numbers stacked up and it would be simple as it wouldn't have the baggage of the site and hospitality, i.e. no need for permanent staff. It would be simpler and more easily managed once you've offloaded all the ancilliary matters relating to the building & site.

No idea about the academy and community sections. Someone with more knowledge would know whether they're viable as stand alone units - if so, then separate them, if not, then I think we'd lose the academy and have a scaled down community section on an amateur basis.
KenH
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Posh » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:54 pm

mrpotatohead wrote:The fan owned club option is a non starter, the losses are far too great , and the decision making process would be a nightmare , rather like Soviet style communism ...on the other hand , it would appear some fans on here would be happy with anyone's money , I think the Yorkshire ripper would be given the red carpet treatment by one or two if he showed up with a few quid.


Wimbledon, Exeter and many other clubs are fan-owned and have gone past us in the football pyramid. Supporters Trusts were established and given the structures to enable fan-owned clubs to avoid exactly these problems and to raise finance and be a success. Having been involved in the setup of the Shrimps Trust and working with Supporters Direct, I know just how much expertise is out there. I also know how much local expertise there is out there who aren't involved in the club who could bring their expertise to bear but not while the current shambles continues. P.S. Barcelona is fan-owned - bloody Stalinists.

We couldn't be fan owned in the Football League as we've not got the income base but we could lower down the leagues if the worst happened (at St Mirren an investor worked with the Supporters Trust to enable a joint agreement, which has been a big success). The only issue is the cost of the PMG Memorial Ego Stand but I'm sure working with property professionals we could find a way of trimming down costs and making better use of it.
VIVE LA REVOLUTION!
User avatar
Posh
 
Posts: 3852
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:57 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere baby

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Keith » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:59 pm

I agree with Ken's post except for one thing...

KenH wrote:...monies from the EFL


...North West Counties at best. It won't stack up as a Football League side because the debts would follow. Only if started off again, debt free, could it work.
“We have far more in common than that which divides us".

In memory of Jo Cox
User avatar
Keith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13746
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Isle of Man

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby George Dawes » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:16 pm

What would be an absolute God Send!! is if somebody offered a fantastic offer to buy the Globe just like Sainsburys did with Christie Park.

I wonder how much the Land would be worth? to fund such a dream or reality? I could only see a buyer wanting it for housing.

just imagine we could move to a better location and build a decent ground what's cheap to run and fan friendly, it would be so much better.


:?:
George Dawes
 
Posts: 8396
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:31 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:17 pm

We should get the views from fans that have gone through a situation like this. We should reach out to Hereford etc. They seem to get the crowds still. The more I think about regional footy again, the better it seems.
BerlinWaller
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby marky No.1 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:26 pm

Enjoy yourself.... It is later than you think
User avatar
marky No.1
 
Posts: 18494
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Carnforth

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby BerlinWaller » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:36 pm

marky No.1 wrote:Judge having none of it

https://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news ... -1-9002539


Sounds like Karl stuck the knife in the back if his old man.
BerlinWaller
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:42 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby NPL Daze » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:40 am

Oyston's at Morecambe FC ???

NO THANK YOU.

I'd rather start down the pyramid in the North West Counties League and ENJOY my football again.
User avatar
NPL Daze
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am
Location: Still on the Car Wash / Squash Club side

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Shrimpy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:43 am

KenH wrote:The only viable option for a fan owned club would be for someone else to run the hospitality and bar, on a professional basis, to cover the overheads of the entire site and buildings (rates, power, insurance, maintenance) and keep the profits. If it was run by a catering/hospitality management company it would probably be profitable enough as a professional outfit would be able to generate more meetings, weddings, functions, etc, probably 7 days per week.

Then the "football club" itself would just stick to the football, i.e. monies from the EFL, gates, adverts/boards, snack stands, with it's only overheads being the wages of the players, management, matchday staff, etc. That could be feasible if the numbers stacked up and it would be simple as it wouldn't have the baggage of the site and hospitality, i.e. no need for permanent staff. It would be simpler and more easily managed once you've offloaded all the ancilliary matters relating to the building & site.

This is what Joseph Cala proposed to do yet was hounded out of the club for talking bollocks.
Shrimpy
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby KenH » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:12 am

Shrimpy wrote:This is what Joseph Cala proposed to do yet was hounded out of the club for talking bollocks.


Two problems with Cala.

1. He was a total pillock in lots of other ways.
2. He set about it the wrong way, i.e. handing out redundancy notices.

Done properly, a lot of what he said made sense and is what other clubs have done, i.e. Preston North End hospitality/function rooms are franchised out and operated by a professional hospitality firm. Rather than Morecambe's hospitality staff being given P45's they'd be TUPE'd over to the new firm for example.
KenH
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Gone_Shrimping » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:22 am

The May 2017 accounts are due to be filed at Companies House by 28th February. Likely to be another large loss reported.

Everything seems to have gone quiet at boardroom level. There was the mention earlier of the extension to the rear of the Omega stand and the promise of some artists impressions of how it would look. That seems to be in the long grass now.

Andy Holt at Accrington has done a great job in communicating with their fans and finding out what they want and how their matchday experience can be improved. We just get a deafening silence.
A Shrimp is for life and not just for Christmas.
Gone_Shrimping
 
Posts: 2241
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:49 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby KenH » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote:The May 2017 accounts are due to be filed at Companies House by 28th February. Likely to be another large loss reported.


No, they'll just continue changing the year end to get extra time to file, like they've done the last 2 years. Nothing like hiding the bad news.
KenH
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby NPL Daze » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:32 am

Gone_Shrimping wrote: There was the mention earlier of the extension to the rear of the Omega stand and the promise of some artists impressions of how it would look. That seems to be in the long grass now.

We just get a deafening silence.


That's been the case for many a long year now.

The talk of improving facilities and the Home End crops up every so often but nothing materialises.

And before I get jumped on, I know money is non existent.
User avatar
NPL Daze
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am
Location: Still on the Car Wash / Squash Club side

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby NPL Daze » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:46 am

A spot on quote from a Blackpool FC fan on their forum:

"Morecambe FC lost its way when the heart of the club was ripped out with the move from beloved Christie Park to the spiritless Globe Arena. The majority of the loyal fans were against the move and were ignored by the money men in the boardroom responsible for the failed business plan.

If Bentley keeps the club in league division 4 again this year it will be a miracle."


An interesting read for all those "in favour" of Oy$ton taking over our club:

http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk/thread ... nmUcGfsKM8
User avatar
NPL Daze
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am
Location: Still on the Car Wash / Squash Club side

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Shrimpy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:47 am

NPL Daze wrote:
Gone_Shrimping wrote: There was the mention earlier of the extension to the rear of the Omega stand and the promise of some artists impressions of how it would look. That seems to be in the long grass now.

We just get a deafening silence.


That's been the case for many a long year now.

The talk of improving facilities and the Home End crops up every so often but nothing materialises.

And before I get jumped on, I know money is non existent.


Yes, I think we'd all be much happier if people running the club just came out with something honest like "we've not got a pot to piss in, we're not even going to entertain the idea of improving facilities in the home end as we can't afford it" rather than making promises every 6 months about doing something or other and then it never materialises.
Shrimpy
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:53 am

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby KenH » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:55 am

Shrimpy wrote:Yes, I think we'd all be much happier if people running the club just came out with something honest like "we've not got a pot to piss in, we're not even going to entertain the idea of improving facilities in the home end as we can't afford it" rather than making promises every 6 months about doing something or other and then it never materialises.


I can't imagine there's anyone who doesn't know the club has no money. The proposals just make the board look silly. But, having accepted there's no money, there are still lots of smaller things, costing nothing or little, that the club could do to improve the match day experience. There are also a lot of people willing to offer their time or expertise to make things better. Despite all that has been said over the past few years, there's still the "them and us" corporate mentality that is strangling the club.
KenH
 
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:40 pm

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby NPL Daze » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 pm

Strangling?

I think it has strangled it to just about near death.

Sadly.
User avatar
NPL Daze
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am
Location: Still on the Car Wash / Squash Club side

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby Christies Child » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:06 pm

NPL Daze wrote:A spot on quote from a Blackpool FC fan on their forum:

"Morecambe FC lost its way when the heart of the club was ripped out with the move from beloved Christie Park to the spiritless Globe Arena. The majority of the loyal fans were against the move and were ignored by the money men in the boardroom responsible for the failed business plan.

If Bentley keeps the club in league division 4 again this year it will be a miracle."


An interesting read for all those "in favour" of Oy$ton taking over our club:

http://www.backhenrystreet.co.uk/thread ... nmUcGfsKM8


I didn't hear this so called majority come out in favour of staying The Pie at the time..... in fact I seem to recall that the majority were in favour of the move relishing the opportunity to watch football in superior surroundings. Granted the reality is somewhat different than expected in some eyes but the fact is that to redevelop The Pie was financially a non starter. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Heroes get mentioned but Legends never die.
Christies Child
 
Posts: 14737
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:34 am
Location: Storth, South Lakes

Re: O/T Oyston leaves

Postby NPL Daze » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 pm

For "some eyes" read as "most eyes".
User avatar
NPL Daze
 
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:33 am
Location: Still on the Car Wash / Squash Club side

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], black morse, Phil Anderer, SupermarketShrimp and 13 guests